playtime

Come on, baby, spend Christmas with me!

Company for Christmas - http://companyforchristmas.wordpress.com/
Company for Christmas – http://companyforchristmas.wordpress.com/

You’ve probably noticed the pretty new badge on the side of my page.  And oh– hey look, there’s Marilyn with it, too!  In fact, just to give it some attention– since we’re starting a little late this year on getting the word out– I’ve taken down most of my side-blog sparkle.

It’s C4C– Company for Christmas!

Company for Christmas is a volunteer-fueled mission, created by fabulous blogger RuleofStupid.  It is a virtual place for people who, quite simply, don’t have any company on Christmas, and would benefit from a little non-religiously-affiliated, non-counseling-oriented, conversation.

I’ll be volunteering, so if you want to spend some of your Christmas day chatting with me and the hubs– come on over.  Schedules will be posted, too, so you’ll know when to find us.

You can help, too.

• Spread the word, so that no member of our wonderful blogging family spends Christmas alone.
  • Volunteer!  If you have a little bit of time on Christmas day– volunteer so we can try to fill the day with voices and companionship.  You don’t even have to commit to a post.  Just stop by, say hi, and keep the conversation going with a comment or two.  I mean, we’ll be having a pretty fabulous party, since both Dave and I will be hanging out there, but I understand if all you can spare is a word or two.
  • Visit RuleofStupid’s blog and give him kudos for a kind idea.  He’d be the first to tell you that you don’t have to do that, and I’ll be the first to tell you that you should.

Please visit the official blog for more information: http://companyforchristmas.wordpress.com/

To encourage promotion of this cause, I will be taking the giveaway advice posted by WordPress gurus and offering prizes (that you may or may not actually want).

company for christmas, c4c, obama
Republicans and Democrats agree: Pressers don’t let Pressers spend Christmas alone.
  • If you put the badge with link on your site, blog, or re-blog, about C4C, I’ll make a little something weird and special for you.  It will be posted on my blog, and linked to yours, on Christmas Day.

Be sure to actually tell me you did one of these things, so I know to whom I should give these … erm… wonderful… prizes.

You should also be aware that I’m not above nagging when I’m 100% behind a cause!  Prepare to hear about this again.

And– Merry Christmas!

130 comments

1. You have more than a hundred and fifty comments on the other blog entry about this, so I hope you don’t mind if I come over here to comment instead.
    This is an AWESOME idea. I’m going to bookmark it so that I can help out. We usually spend Christmas with jak’s parents, but, what with the movement of jak’s grandparents to assisted living and the resulting necessity of emptying out their home, we will most likely just be spending Christmas with our kids. I can’t imagine having Christmas alone.

1. Don’t be sorry, Cimmy! Badges can be tricky, and like Jak mentioned, mine wasn’t even linked 100% correctly, ha! 😀 Thank you for your volunteering, I’ll be sure to add you!

2. What a lovely, friendly idea. I’ll drop by. We do have company, but it’s mostly the kids’ company, so once dinner is finished, I’m free as a bird since the kids are cooking and cleaning up (yay!!). Really, a beautiful idea. There are too many lonely people on Christmas.

1. 🙂 Thanks, Marilyn. Last year, when Panda came up with it, it just blew me away with the kindness. It’s a lot of orchestrating, but I hope that one day it can be something established for all holidays. 🙂

3. I put the badge on Serendipity. I’m going to reblog this now so the links will be available too. I actually have a new author on my site tomorrow and won’t be writing (omg a day off I don’t believe it!!) so now’s the time. I don’t do a lot of reblogging these days, but this is worth it.

4. I’m in! I think I still have the badge on my page, but I’ll have to check! We don’t do anything on Christmas either so I can certainly do a bit of a chat with others with no family!

5. Reblogged this on benzeknees and commented:

If you are alone this Christmas & need to chat I will be volunteering this year OR if you have a bit of time at Christmas & can do some chatting with others who are alone, please get involved.

6. I’ve all ready told people on my blog that I will be available the 24/25 if anyone wants to talk or they get lonely. I did C4C last year, wasn’t sure if it was being done this year. So now that I know it will, I will jump over there and officially offer my services again this year. 🙂

7. Terrific idea!! Could’ve used this back in my bachelor days when I was usually working on Christmas reporting what a wonderful time everyone was having.

1. 🙂 I understand that entirely! My dad used to have a job that involved being available all Christmas Eve and he used to talk about what a bummer it was to not have anywhere to go in the 3 hours between work that he had available. Thank you, Garry, for your encouragement!

8. Reblogged this on hometogo232 and commented:

I’ve re-blogged this as it is a very worthwhile and meaningful way to show compassion and concern for bloggers who will be alone on Christmas Day. There are links in this post to explain further… Diane

1. Thank you, Diane! I will be getting you more information soon, over at C4C– but basically volunteers can choose a specific time slot (to let their followers and the site know) when they’ll be there. On that day, you can create a page and host a chat within because we’ll make all volunteers into blog-editors. Otherwise, you can also be a volunteer who just drops in– those types help us fill the gaps. 🙂 I hope that helps!

1. You can let me know…sometimes I need a little extra instructions…you know those little gray cells being a bit older lol Like where do you create a page.. on your site? That’s likely what you mean ..! Diane

1. That’s perfectly alright, Diane. Last year, we worked it out as we went, and this year we made some changes to make it work smoother… so we all need that little extra bit. 🙂

I’ll be sending out editor invites. That will give you the capacity to make a page on C4C– which you can test and delete before the day of, if you want to practice. When you make a page, the menu will be set up to show it on the sidebar– and people around at the time will go there to chat within the comments of that page. 🙂

9. Reblogged this on Soul Additions and commented:

This is a great way to help people who are alone on Christmas if you can either spread the word by reblogging or actually participating. I won’t be available to participate on Christmas, so I’m hoping I’ve done something at least by reblogging. Happy Holidays my friends!

1. You’ve done quite a bit by re-blogging, Janine– that’s how the word gets out to the people who need something like this. Happy Holidays to you!! hugs

10. Reblogged this on the tao of jaklumen and commented:

A lot of you may know about this already, but if any of you don’t, come see what C4C (Company For Christmas) is all about. This year, my grandparents moved to assisted living, my parents are traveling to visit my baby sister, and my in-laws don’t want to travel on slick roads, so Christmas for the j1 + j2 = s1 + s2 family will be a little more low-key. Hey Rara, I’m in like Flynn!

11. Hey Rara,
    How are you doing? That is a great idea. Being nonreligious myself, I was rather bored with all the festive cheer around. I will try and come up on the day to communicate with others. 🙂

12. Reblogged this on Not a Punk Rocker and commented:

Right now I have plans to run away from home on Christmas, but this may make me change my mind. Thanks to RuleofStupid and Rara for spreading the word, love, tinsel and cookies*.

*Tinsel and cookies are not guaranteed to be available at all locations.

1. Hooray for tinsel!

I really will be on the road most of Christmas Day, or else I would volunteer for whatever jobs are available. I look forward to catching up later that day though 🙂

13. Yep, I’ll be there too, once I get my basement drained and my driveway rebuilt. Lord, I’m so flooded, my bare feet squelch when I walk! 😀
    Ah well, back to the fun. If I see Nessie down there, I’ll tell her you said “Rawr!”. 😉

1. Oh good, John! I was going to email you directly to do a bit of nagging, 😉 haha, but I hope to see you there. And yep, tell good ol’ Ness rawr for me, haha! I hope your basement dries out soon!

1. Thank you for everything, Jennifer, I appreciate it very much!! I’ll do another post with timetables and specifics soon, as soon as I get together a list of those who have already chimed in. 🙂

1. Administratively speaking, there are basically 3 types of folk involved. Those popping in to keep the conversation going (friendly volunteers and those who are partaking of the service). To do that, just pop in. Then, there’s editors– of two varieties– (1) the ones who can commit to a time slot and then are responsible for running and moderating a page during that time, and (2) those who cannot commit to a specific time, but are willing to manage and host a page when they are there. 😀

So, editors with a time-slot are needed most, but we’re positively happy for everyone involved. 🙂

14. What a wonderful idea. You don’t stop to think that there may be bloggers alone on Christmas day. I think this is a fabulous initiative. I’ll be around in Australia, different time zone I know, i think its all over here before you begin, but I do wish you all well.

Merry Christmas to you….

Michael

15. Wonderful indeed. Yes, I don’t have company lined up for Christmas, abundant family etc etc, so I do appreciate this.

16. Sounds a great idea. I’m in Australia too but will probably be online late Christmas night Australian Eastern Standard time so I guess you people in the USA and Canada will be just getting started.

17. I placed two badges and included links on my sidebar and went to companyforchristmas.wordpress.com and offered to be available whenever you guys need me. I live in central standard time zone if that’s any help. Just let me know what you need me to do. I love talking to others.

18. Reblogged this on Kate Is Rising and commented:
    I’m going to be stopping in to chat on Christmas evening, and possibly a couple of other times. I read that they will be starting the chats, through commenting on blog posts. It seems like such a sweet idea, especially since so many wordpress bloggers are so wonderful.

Rawr?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s